Domain name, Its Importance and why you need to have your own
A domain name is your unique identity on the internet. It is the address of your cyberspace. Owning a domain name gives you the same feeling that you get once you have in your hands the title deed for your newly purchased house. The sense of ownership is the most vital importance of domain name.
Getting a domain name registered is like getting your own business card. A person makes a number of evaluations about you on reading your visitor’s card. Similarly your domain name reveals so much about you and your website, on the first look, that it is nothing short of your own personal visitor’s card. Get a right domain name and get a good first impression.
If you are planning to create your presence felt on the internet, getting a domain name is perhaps the starting point. It opens the doorway to so many options on the internet which can only follow once you have a domain name registered under your name.
IMPORTANCE OF A DOMAIN NAME
- A domain name builds up your credibility: Having your own domain name lends a professional touch to your business. Whenever a new visitor reaches your website, chances are she is going to look at your domain name and make a first impression opinion about the site. Your domain name gives her the impression of being a large well established company.
- A domain name gives you uniqueness: Owning your own domain name is like living in your own apartment and not in a rented one. You address is your own and not a shared one. Your URL will look like: www.name-of-your-own-website.com
In contrast to this if you are sharing someone else’s website like using a free website to launch your own website your URL could look like this:
This looks rather dubious and people generally avoid dealing with such websites.
- Brand building with your own domain name: If you have you brand name or your company name included in your domain name it helps to reinforce your brand value. It increases the awareness of your brand. Visitors don’t just come to know about your brand name but also do take care to remember it for future visits. Your brand name travels with them and gets transferred to other people whenever your visitors talk about it amongst their own friends.
- Personalized and multiple e-mail addresses with your own domain name: Another importance of domain name is that with your registered domain name you can create your own personal e-mail address that looks like email@example.com and which makes you an important person to deal with in your own company. You also have the flexibility to create multiple e-mails for your various departments and organizational functions. You can thus create professionally looking e-mails like firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, etc. With multiple e-mails you have your mails sorted out automatically that cuts the response back time. On the other hand your visitors feel comfortable dealing with you because they know that they dealing directly with the company and not through a channel.
- A domain name lends you portability on the internet: When you have your website running under your own domain name you have the portability to carry your website to any webhost you like. But if you are sharing someone else’s domain name then you can’t take the domain name along with your website. You will have to create a new domain name and in the process you will lose your visitors. You will have to start building your traffic once again. In contrast to it when you have your own domain name you can still retain your website with its original domain name and can transfer your domain name from one domain registrar to the other or from one webhost to the other.
- Search engines give importance to websites with their unique domain names: The search engines recognize the importance of domain name and give preference to websites that have their own unique domain names rather than those that are either subdomains or a part of an another domain name, like when you get your website launched with a free webhost.Some search engines give more importance to your home page over other pages and when you have your own home page running under your own domain name it is liable to get a higher ranking. With a free webhost the home page of that website gets the limelight whereas your page can get found for only the content of your page. You own home page with a free domain website is in fact the home page of a sub domain whereas your webhost’s home page is the actual homepage for that domain name. Your own domain name thus helps you to get that free search engine traffic that is vital for your internet success.
There is vast importance of domain names. It helps build your reputation. Not having your own domain name gives an amateur look to your website. Get that all important professional look by having your own domain name.
Earlier the domain names were costlier and only few companies had one for themselves. Nowadays it is so cheap to have a domain name for yourself that there is no reason not to buy one for your own use. With so much importance of domain name and with hardly any disadvantage, it makes sense to invest that paltry sum for a domain name that reflects your persona or caries your brand image to give further boost to your brand value and your online business.
It is highly recommended that you too realize the importance of domain name and get your own domain name registered if you are serious about making a mark on the cyberspace.